It was first mentioned in 1275 as a parish. Thiergarten is named after a game reserve which has been established by the local noblemen ´von Zimmern´, however, the reserve was closed a long time ago. Our farm is located just outside Thiergarten and is heritage listed.
As you can see on our family crest, the Käppeler family has been around for a long time. The astronomer Kepler is one of our ancestors. The farm, which is also referred to as ´Thiergarten Farm´ is run by the third generation of Käppelers.
We have been welcoming guests since the 1960s. That´s when Ida Käppeler offered guest rooms in the main farm building and provided full board for her guests.
A special find is the little church with 3 naves and an apse. It is considered the smallest basilica North of the Alps.
It was first mentioned in 1275, its romanic masonry indicates that it was built between the 11th and 13th century. In 1670 it was the chapel of the Thiergarten Hammersmith. Three choir windows were covered up during various modifications and two round windows were added. It was completely restored between 1985 and 1989 and renovated again in 2013.
To this date our basilica regularly hosts masses and weddings. Once a month an evening mass is held.